Monday, October 4, 2010

Quotable quotes from Buddy’s Buddies

Sunday's River Mouth
There are many fishes in the sea
I hoped to collect 2 species of very special molluscs – they are special because they are giving us identification nightmares. We were fortunate to find more than anticipated. What a great treat! I cannot wait to report on the results. I suspect it will be novel results - Prof Herman v/d Bank, Dept. Zool., Univ. Jhb. 

After two weeks of sampling in three biodiversity hotspots we collected some two thousand samples of invertebrates which will be used for DNA barcoding. It is a privilege and honour to have this great opportunity, sincerely -Mark I. Cooper, MSc.


Thanks to all the sponsors that made this outreach possible - Gerhard Groenewald. Project Manager.

Fish with 2 parasites
This was stepping into a different universe, allowing one to walk side by side with weird and wonderful people who unlock the brilliant detail of Creation in a way that constantly takes ones breath away. Awesome and humbling experience - Mimi van Deijl Winner of Cape Nature Draw.
Citizen scientists unite, we will make a difference. Rubbing shoulders with world class scientists from South Africa and Canada and the best of the best in their fields, from snakes to plants, insects to fish, birds and frogs was a privilege and an opportunity - Thank you Gerhard and Elmarie! Renier Balt, Citizen Scientist.

To ring birds and collect blood samples in the three biodiversity hotspots in South Africa is the 
Isa with whale skeleton
privilege of only a few.  It was mine the past few days – and to be in the company of a handful of dedicated scientists collecting samples for barcoding was a great experience. Unforgettable - Arnold vd Westhuizen, Researcher:  Animal Demography Unit, UCT.

The Toyota outreach has been a total revelation. To see so many dedicated people at work from the different fields both scientific and journalistic has been wonderful to see. Thank you all for this great opportunity, one that will remain in my thoughts for a long time - Richard Greenfield, Researcher and Technician Department of Zoology, University of Johannesburg. 
This experience recruited me to become a citizen scientist, with a soft spot for birding. No longer is it only the forest that I see, but now also the individual trees, birds, insects and animals in it. Living for just over two weeks with people with such knowledge and passion for their profession was really a life changing experience - Ernst van Deijl (Citizen Scientist Recruit)

Jeffries taking a plant sample and tagging its location with a Garmin GPS
For me the most wonderful experience was how people from different backgrounds and experiences can work in a group to achieve a common goal. The spirit and enthusiasm was fantastic. I can’t even start to express the “vibe” in the camp.  A special thanks goes to Gerhard and Elmarie Groenewald and their team, without the logistic support and constant encouragement we would never have achieved our goals. I also want to thank Cape Nature, Northern Cape and SANPARKS for all their help and assistance and especially Toyota and the other sponsors making this expedition possible - Michelle van der Bank, Department of Botany and Plant Biotechnology, University of Johannesburg

The Giant flightless dung beetle
I had a great experience with my second Outreach. I spent three weeks in the field meeting and learning from scientists and people from different backgrounds and origin. The trip gave us the unique opportunity to slowly fulfil the goal of the IBOL project. Finally, as plant person it was wonderful to discover new places in this great country South Africa and to observe many beautiful little flowers and to hug large trees. Many thanks to Gerhard and Elmarie, Toyota and everybody that made this experience possible - Olivier Maurin. Post Doc fellow at the Botany and Biotechnology Department at the University of Johannesburg.

Thanks for helping SANPARKS
Being part of the Outreach has been one of the most exciting experiences in my life and in my student career. I had the opportunity to be part of a research team with people of great field skills in various biological fields. I was also amazed to discover how beautiful South Africa is. I am really thankful to Toyota, to everyone involved in this program, and to my supervisor Prof. Michelle van der Bank who gave me the opportunity to join the plant team - Bruce Lububi Kyalangalilwa. MSc student, Department of Botany and Plant Biotechnolgy, University of Johannesburg.

An exciting eye opener to the field of research in the field, meeting a team of experienced and 
renowned scientists helped me to acquire vast skills in the area of biological sciences. I am grateful to my supervisors Prof Michelle van der Bank, Dr Olivier Maurin and all the sponsors of Toyota Outreach 2010 for awarding me this great opportunity of my life - Jephris Gere. PhD Student at the University of Johannesburg in the Department of Botany and Plant Biotechnology.

Snakes number X
It is a non-vicious cycle, and I can’t quite remember how it started. Was it perhaps a love for herps (i.e. reptiles and amphibians) that took me to exotic destinations? Or was it the love for far away destinations that took me to find exotic herps? Whatever the case – I owe it to my friends in low places that once again provided me with the opportunity to experience a lekker adventure. Viva the herps and thanks to everyone else – Marius Burger, Snakeman alias Frogman alias Reptilian. 

What more can I say. Except cheers ‘til tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment